So, I don’t wanna brag, but my BFF David and his amazing wife, Carolyn, went to D23 this weekend, and they attended the Once Upon a Time panel. I know you wish you were as lucky as me to have such cool friends, but try not to be too jealous. I’m going to share their exciting reports with you, and maybe, juuust maybe, it will get us yearning Oncers though another week of waiting and wanting for Season 5.
Jeffrey Epstein of D23 moderated the magical panel, welcoming series creators Edward Kitsis and Adam Hororwitz to the stage.
Here is a rundown of some things we learned from the Kitsis/Horowitz interview:
- Henry regrets snapping his quill at the end of Season 4
- We’ll see lots of Merida and Camelot early!
- Iconography from Belle will be introduced, eg. the infamous enchanted wilting rose in a bell jar
- There will be a big fight between Zelena and Regina
- Zelena is “the Hannibal Lector if the show” and will “live up to her wicked name”
- Emma is still the Savior, so being the Dark One will manifest itself differently for her that Rumple
- The Dagger is kind of like a twisted magnifying glass that emphasizes the fears of the Dark One, so the Dark Swan’s experiences will be different from her predecessors’
The creator-writers were extremely coy when asked to elaborate on the promo photo of the Dark Swan standing in the foreground while Rumpelstiltskin looks on appraisingly behind her, saying “once fans watch the premiere they will definitely understand.” #vagueitup
The hundredth episode is coming up, so the Kitsis and Horowitz played an infuriating game of “yes, no, maybe” where the host threw out several names of previous characters and asked if fans would see them again on screen. Of course the gents answered “maybe” to all of them!
Mulan, Aurora, Rapunzel, Red Ridinghood, Ariel ,Baelfire, Ursula, and Cora were all thrown out and confirmed with hearty maybes.
Fans were also treated to a viewing of an a bonus feature on the DVD set to release August 18. There will be a blooper reel which includes lots of line flubs, missed marks, crazy faces, giggle fits, and prop malfunctions!
After this hilarious break, Ginnifer Goodwin who plays Snow White/Mary Margaret and Lana Parrilla who portrays Regina/the Evil Queen joined the stage. After that there was no end to the revelations!
- Parrilla says that Regina and Snow’s connection moment was when Mary Margaret told Regina about the secret they were keeping from Emma; Regina and Mary Margaret realized that was what the relationship between them should have always been (Not gonna lie, fellow Oncers, I teared up over that one for real)
- One of Parrilla’s favorite scenes from the series is when Regina takes Mary Margaret’s heart out to show Snow it has blackness in it
- Parrilla’s favorite line is “I shall destroy your happiness… if it’s the last thing I do!” from the wedding in the pilot; it was the only line she spoke in the auditions, and it sold Kitsis and Horowitz on her as the Evil Queen
- Snow got to get dark in the finale, and Goodwin really liked being Evil Snow because it was the polar opposite of the real Snow White
- Goodwin admits she has a “laughing problem” that takes up a lot of filming time on set
- Emma will teach Mary Margaret about what it means to be be shades of dark, and Goodwin says Emma will make the perfect teacher
- Snow will feel like a failure as a mother because the very thing she and Charming had been trying to prevent before Emma was even born has finally happened
- In the Season 4 finale, Emma saves Regina by taking on the Darkness; Regina is going to feel responsible and kind of annoyed about it because now “she has to save Emma” back; Regina hates owing people, but recognizes that no one else has ever sacrificed themselves for her in her whole life
- Everyone wants to save Emma, but everyone will have different opinions and motivations regarding how. Hook obviously has his reasons! And his motives seem the most practical!
- Camelot will be visited and the majority of the core characters will be there, along with “some friends of Snow” who don’t get to go on adventures, which fans take to mean the Dwarves
- Camelot is timeline concurrent with The Land Without Magic and the Enchanted Forest, with a past, present, and future all its own
- Merida is the first Pixar character to be brought in, and her introduction will be as impressive and memorable as Snow and Charming’s meeting, or Regina’s crashing the Charming’s wedding
- Kitsis and Horowitz assure us that Merida will definitely interact with a lot of characters
Then Jeffery opened the floor to questions for the panel and a guy cosplaying Jango Fett asked Goodwin who her favorite character on OUaT is. She replied Rumpelstiltskin, which made Jango a little sad SINCE IT WAS JOSH DALLAS IN COSTUME. Dallas had not been billed as appearing on the panel, so his addition to the stage was extremely exciting for fans!
After Dallas’ addition, we learned:
- Green screen mishaps abound on set!
- On the set of the Jolly Roger in Season 3, the cast was hauling rope and helping with sails but had zero idea what they were actually supposed to do
- Sometimes in physical fight scenes, the cast feels like they are awkward and unconvincing, but when they watch the finished scenes, they are pleasantly surprised that they made it look so intense
- Charming and Arthur are going to have “a full on bromance” in Camelot
- Charming went from a shepherd, to a prince, to a husband, to a father, and he has a huge heart, but he wonders if he can still be the prince his people needs, and if he can still have the adventures and quests of his glory days
- Goodwin says the set is very fertile! Many OUaT cast members have become parents either through new births or children by marriage. When asked if that’s changed their relationships with their on-screen families, Goodwin said that she perceives love differently and more deeply. Parrilla is a real step-mother now of two boys who “feel like her own,” and she had to learn quickly to balance life and work since getting married. When she works with Jared S. Gilmore, who plays her adopted son Henry, she sometimes thinks of her youngest, Matthew.
- Goodwin is a charter D23 member and says this event “isn’t like work, it’s like coming home.”
Jeffery then asked if the castmembers are Disney fans and rapid-fired a series of questions at the panel, wanting to know their favorite Disney things:
- Dallas’s favorite Disney movie is Toy Story
- Parrilla’s favorite Disney song is The Little Mermaid’s ‘Poor Unfortunate Souls,’ whose title she sang menacingly
- Goodwin’s favorite Disney song is ‘Baby Mine’ from Dumbo
Epstein then asked them what their favorite Disney merchandise is. It was a good time to mention that both Snow White and the Evil Queen both have collector’s dolls being released this week. Goodwin and Parrilla were available for signing the limited edition dolls available for purchase at the Expo.
- Dallas’ favorite Disney merch is a black Mickey Mouse t-shirt that he wears often
- Parrilla’s favorite Disney item is a vintage Evil Queen figurine that her sister gave her
Epstein asked them about their favorite rides:
- Parrilla quickly answered “Tower of Terror!”
- Dallas somewhat predictably chose “Indiana Jones!”
- Goodwin surprised and delighted many by proclaiming “Haunted Mansion!”
Lastly, The cast and creators hinted that Season 5’s overarching themes will be:
- “Things aren’t always what they appear to be”
- “Love is a very dangerous weapon”
And then they revealed the one thing all Oncers were waiting for — A sneak peak at the first few minutes of the opening scene of Season 5, Episode 1! Enjoy it here, then tell us what you think about it in the comments below!